Wednesday, November 18, 2009

self portrait






First time experience in oil pastel. Not a bad turnout. I used portfolio water-soluble oil pastels on black paper, with most of my blending done using water and paintbrushes. The style had to reflect Edward Munch (known for the scream) or Alice Neal. I guess i was channeling Munch because I realized after the fact that the pose I chose was rather "scream-like". Actually the main point I was trying to make was what my world looks like when I have a synesthetic overload. Synesthesia is a harmless neurological quirk I have, basically a few extra brain connections that mix my senses around. Per say, one stimulus received, my brain reacts with two. Thus my music, letters, numbers, scents and movements have color and sometimes texture. Anytime I experience too much, it feels like I'm drowning.

Anyways, here's a photo montage I took from my phone from start to finish. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment